Careers – Director, Research and Development (Bristol, VA)
At Strongwell, growth, market diversity and financial stability create an environment of security and opportunity. Strongwell people take pride in being part of an industry leading team. The company recognizes that its people provide the intelligence, vitality, enthusiasm and productive effort that makes the company what it is today.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please submit a completed application (linked below), along with your resume and salary history to Human Resource Department, Strongwell-Bristol, P.O. Box 580, Bristol, VA 24203-0580. You may also email your information to [email protected]. All application submissions are confidential. No phone inquiries please.
Director, Research and Development (Bristol, VA)
This position will manage the daily operation of the Lab and research and development efforts. This individual must be able to work independently with little supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all aspects of research and development programs and experiments
- Report to senior management on company product technical issues as well as technical developments within the market
- Manage trial and test programs through the management and assignment of staff and utilization of resources
- Mentor a team of research staff and lab technicians
- Budget and cost forecast technical development and research programs
- Research, plan, and implement new programs and protocols and oversee the development of new products
- Stay informed on what is happening in the research and development field at large in order to make sure Strongwell is up-to-date and current with the most advanced technology
- Develop research programs incorporating current developments to improve existing products
- Establish and maintain testing procedures for assessing raw materials, in both process and finished products
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, Competencies and Education
- BS or MS degree in a technical field (such as Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering)
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows, Word, EXCEL, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Extremely detailed oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- A strong sense of creativity for the process of thinking of new ideas and solving problems
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- 10 years experience in the composites industry
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF JOB: This position requires that the employee be able to perform the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Sitting for long periods of time at a computer
- Standing for long periods of time around equipment and machinery
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position requires that the employee be able to work effectively in a work environment involving:
- Office, Lab, and Lab Pultruder area
- Manufacturing facility
The above mentioned duties are the essential functions of the job. We reserve the right to review job duties as situations dictate. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity with the industry leader, please submit your resume in confidence to [email protected].