Careers – Machine Build Controls Technician (Bristol, VA)
At Strongwell, growth, market diversity and financial stability create an environment of security and opportunity. Strongwell people take pride in being part of an industry leading team. The company recognizes that its people provide the intelligence, vitality, enthusiasm and productive effort that makes the company what it is today.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please submit a completed application (linked below), along with your resume and salary history to Human Resource Department, Strongwell-Bristol, P.O. Box 580, Bristol, VA 24203-0580. You may also email your information to [email protected]. All application submissions are confidential. No phone inquiries please.
Machine Build Controls Technician (Bristol, VA)
The Machine Build Controls Technician provides supervision and planning to ensure all machine build jobs are completed as scheduled and that each job is completed in the most efficient manner. Responsible for the installation and maintenance of PLC, drives, and other equipment at all buildings owned and operated by Strongwell.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides coordination and planning for machine build jobs to efficiently complete them as scheduled.
- Plans and schedules daily production ensuring optimum productivity.
- Installs, maintains, trouble shoots, tests, and repairs plant components, some of which include: PLC’s, variable frequency drives, power systems, electrical equipment, communication systems, motors, hardware, fire system devices, building and machine controls, electrical wiring, resistive heaters, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, cable assemblies, lighting fixtures, security alarms systems, IT cable.
- Ensures necessary supplies and equipment are available.
- Collaborates with all other departments/divisions as necessary to provide customer needs.
- Carries out emergency maintenance on equipment and other apparatus as requested. Responds to emergency calls that are a result of mechanical/electrical failure both during and after regular hours of work.
- Responsible to assume work duties on plant systems and equipment or perform various tasks normally designated to other department members when required.
- Ensures that all work is done according to standard practices, state electrical code, and provincial and local building codes;
- Ensures required safety practices are followed and that housekeeping is continuously maintained in good order. Promptly reports maintenance work needs.
- Participates in and supports Continuous Improvement.
- Ensures labor hours are properly charged to project number on a daily basis.
- Provides cross training for all jobs.
- Maintains appropriate records including complete equipment repair history, work orders, daily job card, vehicle records, test reports, and other related data;
- Makes recommendations and determines quantities and potential work time for proposed upgrades, installations, repairs and projects which assists with proper costing and planning.
- Liaisons with other consultants, contractors, inspectors, suppliers, and other departments on maintenance and project work.
- Ensures that all work is done according to standard practices, state electrical code, and local building codes.
- Maintains clean and orderly conditions in all working areas, including shop, vehicle and toolboxes.
- Ensures duties are performed in a fiscally responsible manner while observing all safety, environmental, and quality policies and regulations.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary maintenance skills to complete projects
- Ability to create and troubleshoot PLC and VFD code using a laptop computer
- Ability and dexterity in use of various manual and powered hand tools
- Must be able to use various electrical test equipment such as ammeter, voltmeters, and ohm meter
- Work involved with high voltage power systems, pole mounted, ceiling and moving equipment
- Grade 12 High School Diploma or academic equivalent.
- Five (5) years’ experience in the controls trade with a minimum two (2) years in a building maintenance environment.
- Additional technical experience or qualified certification in areas such as PLC programming, controls troubleshooting and wiring, PID loop troubleshooting, and as an industrial electrician.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF JOB: This position requires that the employee be able to perform the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Occasional periods of high levels of physical exertion are needed. This includes heavy lifting, climbing, crouching, balancing, reaching, stooping, carrying, working in confined spaces, above or below normal temperatures, etc.
- Ability to distinguish full color spectrum.
- Provide own hand tools and required to travel between various sites of Strongwell.
- Job requires predominately walking and standing and manual labor tasks. Normal work period is spent indoors with occasional outdoor periods.
- Work evenings, days, and weekends as required.
- Ability to work on elevated platforms.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position requires that the employee be able to work effectively in a work environment involving:
- Glass and resins
The above mentioned duties are the essential functions of the job. We reserve the right to review job duties as situations dictate. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity with the industry leader, please submit your resume in confidence to [email protected].