Careers – Machine Design Engineer (Bristol, VA)
At Strongwell, growth, market diversity and financial stability create an environment of security and opportunity. Strongwell people take pride in being part of an industry leading team. The company recognizes that its people provide the intelligence, vitality, enthusiasm and productive effort that makes the company what it is today.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please submit a completed application (linked below), along with your resume and salary history to Human Resource Department, Strongwell-Bristol, P.O. Box 580, Bristol, VA 24203-0580. You may also email your information to [email protected]. All application submissions are confidential. No phone inquiries please.
Machine Design Engineer (Bristol, VA)
The Machine Build Project Engineer provides technical machine and systems concept design and follows through the concept stage to the final build, providing drawings, build support, and assistance. The position enhances manufacturing production capabilities and efficiencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide conceptual planning and design for machine build jobs.
- Provide complex engineering drawings using geometric tolerance techniques.
- Provide detailed documentation of functional designs, including operating instructions and parameters.
- Collaborate with other departments/divisions as necessary to investigate customer needs.
- Use advanced technology to develop better forming methods. Including 3D printed preformers.
- Develop systematic approach to designing standard shape forming.
- Ensure that all work is done according to standard engineering practices, determining safe load capacities in the mechanical designs.
- Teach process engineers to best utilize new forming technologies and modify design manual to reflect new changes.
- Efficiently complete all projects as scheduled.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, Competencies, and Education
- Engineering degree preferred.
- Five (5) years’ experience in machine design and drafting.
- High competency in mechanical design and drafting technology.
- High competency in mathematics, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Experience in engineering analytical software such as FEA
- Demonstrated competency in both 2D and 3D CAD software; AutoCAD and Inventor preferred.
- Experience in hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical and mechanical systems.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF JOB: This position requires that the employee be able to perform the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Travel between various Strongwell facilities, as well as customer and vendor sites.
- Ability and dexterity in use of various manual and powered hand tools.
- Work evenings, days, and weekends as required.
- Must be able to use various electrical test equipment such as ammeter, voltmeters, and ohm meter.
- Work safely with high voltage power systems and with pole mounted, ceiling mounted, and moving equipment.
- Occasional periods of high levels of physical exertion. This includes, but is not limited to, heavy lifting (up to 40 pounds), climbing, crouching, balancing, reaching, stooping, carrying, working in confined spaces, and above or below normal temperatures.
- Ability to work on elevated platforms
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position requires that the employee be able to work effectively in a work environment involving:
- Fast-paced manufacturing with exposure to glass, resin, and chemicals
- Operating machinery
- Not climate controlled
The above mentioned duties are the essential functions of the job. We reserve the right to review job duties as situations dictate. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity with the industry leader, please submit your resume in confidence to [email protected].