Careers – Research and Development Engineer (Bristol, VA)
At Strongwell, growth, market diversity and financial stability create an environment of security and opportunity. Strongwell people take pride in being part of an industry leading team. The company recognizes that its people provide the intelligence, vitality, enthusiasm and productive effort that makes the company what it is today.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please submit a completed application (linked below), along with your resume and salary history to Human Resource Department, Strongwell-Bristol, P.O. Box 580, Bristol, VA 24203-0580. You may also email your information to [email protected]. All application submissions are confidential. No phone inquiries please.
Research and Development Engineer (Bristol, VA)
The Research and Development Engineer will report to the Director, Research and Development. This position is responsible for the creation of functional composite design concepts, overseeing the implementation of development projects, designing and analyzing new products, and coordinating product and raw material testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducting research and development activities by applying theories, principles, simulation, and modeling
- Designing, analyzing, and testing composites materials and structures
- Designing and analyzing new products
- Documenting laminate designs, simulations, and test results
- Designing test fixtures and jigs
- Designing experiments and coordinating product testing
- Analyzing designs using tools such as CLPT and FEA
- Analyzing test data and document in report form
- Be familiar with and program test machines
- Providing engineering support to other departments (process engineering, QA, Sales, etc.)
- Coordinating technical projects
- Maintaining Design Records for the Research and Development Department
- Working with thermal analysis equipment such as the rheometer and DSC
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, Competencies and Education
- B.S. in Mechanical/Civil/Structural/Composites Engineering
- Creative technical and mechanical aptitude
- Hands-on capabilities
- Effectively communicate with various manufacturing departments
- Ability to multi-task assignments
- Experience with structural and thermal Finite Element Analysis
- Composites experience desirable, but not required
- Familiar with instrumentation using extensometers and strain gages
- Experience with Design of Experiments and statistical methods
- Fluent in engineering tools such as Microsoft Excel, Autodesk Inventor, Finite Element Analysis, and Mathcad
- Fluent in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Good oral communication and report writing skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF JOB: This position requires that the employee be able to perform the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Sitting for long periods of time at a computer
- Standing for long periods of time around equipment and machinery
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position requires that the employee be able to work effectively in a work environment involving:
- Lab area and Lab Pultruder area
- Manufacturing facility
The above mentioned duties are the essential functions of the job. We reserve the right to review job duties as situations dictate. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity with the industry leader, please submit your resume in confidence to [email protected].