Careers – Software Engineer (Bristol, VA)
At Strongwell, growth, market diversity and financial stability create an environment of security and opportunity. Strongwell people take pride in being part of an industry leading team. The company recognizes that its people provide the intelligence, vitality, enthusiasm and productive effort that makes the company what it is today.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please submit a completed application (linked below), along with your resume and salary history to Human Resource Department, Strongwell-Bristol, P.O. Box 580, Bristol, VA 24203-0580. You may also email your information to [email protected]. All application submissions are confidential. No phone inquiries please.
Software Engineer (Bristol, VA)
Develop, enhance, and optimize line of business applications to support the company operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in and/or lead cross functional team(s) to identity bottlenecks in operations, and then design and implement solutions through the use of software applications
- Design new computer programs by analyzing requirements, constructing workflow charts and diagrams, studying system capabilities, and writing specifications
- Enhance and/or extend off-the-shelf applications to increase their value to company operations
- Follow established processes and procedures for the software development lifecycle including coding conventions, source control, and documentation
- Maintain corporate SQL resources
- Act as a subject matter expert in SharePoint and SQL server
- Improve systems by studying current practices and designing modifications
- Recommend controls by identifying problems and writing improved procedures
- Define project requirements by identifying project milestones, phases, and elements; forming project team; establishing project timelines
- Monitor project progress by tracking activity, resolving problem, publishing progress reports, and recommending actions
- Clearly and regularly communicate with management and technical support colleagues
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional societies
- Continuous learning and application of skills and resources
- Share knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, Competencies and Education
- BS degree in Computer Science, MIS, or similar field
- Proven working experience as a Business/Systems Analyst or relevant experience
- Excellent knowledge of software development, including varying development methodologies
- Understanding and experience with Test Driven Development techniques and tools
- Experience in analysis, implementation, and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate with end users to understand, document, and enhance processes and workflows
- Experience working with SQL Server data base and reporting tools
- Experience with Microsoft development tools stack
- Experience with Source Control systems
- Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning systems will be a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF JOB: This position requires that the employee be able to perform the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Sedentary work; many hours of computer work per day
- Minimal lifting
- Manual dexterity to operate, troubleshoot, and install technology equipment and systems.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:This position requires that the employee be able to work effectively in a work environment involving:
- Exposure to glass/resins
The above mentioned duties are the essential functions of the job. We reserve the right to review job duties as situations dictate. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity with the industry leader, please submit your resume in confidence to [email protected].